We have always said that everyone can do something. Everyone can do something to support children in foster care and families in crisis. And DC127’s Resource Board makes that one step easier.
DC127’s Resource Board allows foster families and Safe Families volunteers to post specific material needs, and it allows for community members to directly connect with families to fill these needs. While giving a family a box of diapers may not seem like a big deal, you are telling this family that they are not alone in the work they are doing. You are demonstrating that they have the support and love of their community.
For more information on how to use the Board and general etiquette for the Board, see below.
**DC127 VOLUNTEERS AND FAMILIES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO REQUEST CASH ASSISTANCE THROUGH THE RESOURCE BOARD. IF A CASH REQUEST IS POSTED, PLEASE IGNORE AND A MODERATOR WILL REMOVE THE REQUEST SHORTLY**
**DC127’s Resource Board does not currently work in Safari browsers**
Resource Board Etiquette:
For filling needs:
- Please only accept needs you can actually fill. These are real needs from our families and we want to ensure they get the help they need. If you accept a need and can’t fill it, please click “RETURN” to send the need back.
- Please keep information and addresses from the board and of the families you meet confidential.
For posting needs:
- Requesting cash assistance is not allowed on the Resource Board. Gift cards in small amounts for groceries and clothes are welcomed, but any request for cash will be deleted and the poster may be blocked.
- If you need multiple quantities of a larger or more expensive item, post them as two separate needs so multiple people can respond. Examples: Post diapers in smaller increments, or divide up cleaning supplies.
- We suggest that in the address field, you use a local landmark and either share your address after someone contacts you, or meet them at the landmark. You could also contact your church about using their office as a drop off location.
- This board has the potential to fill up quickly, so please only post things that you truly need. We recommend reaching out to your church or community for immediate needs.
- Resources can only be posted by DC127 foster families and Safe Families volunteers, but anyone is welcome to fill these needs.
How to Fill a Need:
- Click the “Accept” checkbox under the action column on the right hand side of an item.
- An item description will come up, click “YES”.
- The item will then show up under “Your Pending Needs”.
- Once you deliver the item, log back in and select the “COMPLETED” checkbox so we know the item has been successfully delivered.
- If you cannot get the item for whatever reason, click “RETURN” under “Your Pending Needs.”
How to Post a Need:
- Make an account by visiting http://dc127resources.org/
- Note: do not use Safari.
- Click “+ POST A NEED” located at the bottom of the page.
- Fill out info boxes (name, delivery address, due date and time (ex. 12:00 AM), SHORT item description, etc)
- To keep your address confidential, we suggest writing the name a landmark, metro stop, or cross streets in the “Address” field. Examples: “Near Chinatown Metro,” “Near Miner Elementary School.” Once a need is filled you can either share your address with the individual, or meet them at the landmark.
- If you make an error or need to delete a posting email us at email@example.com.
How to Edit Your Profile:
- Click “Profile” in the upper right hand corner.
- Click the blank image to edit.
- Fill in your information and click “Update.”