The goal of Safe Families for Children is to offer support in a time of need and reunite children with their families in a stronger home environment. We connect families with Host Homes, who host children temporarily, while volunteers support the parents to address the crisis that led to the hosting arrangement.
Safe Families for Children is not foster care or adoption. We work hard to maintain connection between parents and children, and all of our volunteers are committed to reuniting families and supporting parents.
What to know about Safe Families for Children
• All parties involved are committed to reuniting the family as soon as possible
• Safety of the child is paramount
• Parent/ Family is in crisis and may be experiencing isolation without a strong support network
• Parent retains custody of their child and can have their child returned to them at any time
• All volunteers and homes are screened and trained
• Safe Families Host Homes and volunteers are not compensated for their service
• Is facing homelessness
• Needs to be hospitalized
• Has a mental health issue
• Feels overwhelmed
• There is evidence of current abuse (we will defer to Child and Family Services)
• We are unable to obtain consent from a parent who has legal custody
• The child is exhibiting dangerous or violent behavior
• The child is in need of substance abuse rehabilitation
To learn more about how Safe Families for Children works and see our referral guidelines: Download PDF
Download a brochure to help explain Safe Families for Children to your clients: Download PDF
To make a referral
For social services wanting to refer a family to Safe Families for Children, please fill out an online referral form here OR complete a paper version of the Safe Families Preliminary Referral Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We work hard to find a Host Home for every family, but cannot guarantee that a home will be available.
Please feel free to call us with any questions about Safe Families for Children or our referral process at 202-670-1145.